RWU Intern & Apprentice Opportunities
RunWay Underground[the Evolution] Fashion Production Group, Network & Publishing and Jisé Fashion Journal offers unpaid internships and apprentice opportunities throughout the year and is currently seeking reliable, fearless and organized individuals or all ethnicities to help facilitate various ongoing and upcoming events, deadlines and projects.
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone who is relentlessly drawn to fashion, business, marketing/PR and publishing seeking extensive professional experience that can lead to future management and lead positions. We are especially in need of skilled Graphic Designers, Photo Editing/Retouching and Layout specialists for the model agency component of RWU as well as our print magazine which launches fall 2015.
Our primary mission at RunWay Underground[the Evolution] Fashion Production Group, Network & Publishing is to feature, celebrate, promote and provide the highest level of management services, professional development, representation, mentorship and exposure for professional established and emerging Afrikan [Black] designers, artisans, models, hair stylists, make-up artists, fashion writers, photographers and stylists in the Austin area — and ultimately to global markets.
While we are new players on the block, the dedicated innovators launching this collective and producing our shows have over 100+ years of experience between us as designers, talent casting, event producers, directors and stylists.
Our current intern needs include (but not limited to)†:
• Administrative Assistants: College students of any level and major who are self-starters, detailed oriented team players that can complete assigned tasks accurately and on time no matter how small or involved. These positions involve performing basic clerical duties (i.e. answering phones, filing, creating and updating databases and lists, making copies, running errands...) as well as assembling gift packets and provide additional support for show managers, stylists and designers' assistants. These positions give interns the opportunity to work directly with and assist RWU's Executive Creative Director, Jisé Fashion Journal's Editor in Chief and other senior staff.
• Design, Production and Stylist Assistants: Upper division college students and graduates with any major. Preference for Fine Arts, Fashion Design, Merchandising and Theatre majors. Seeking organized individuals with reliable transportation interested in learning more about the exciting, behind the scenes world of the fashion design. This is a rare opportunity to gain hands-on professional production experience by assisting our designers and stylists. These positions are a mix of studio, production and administrative duties.
• Events Production: Open to all majors, but prefer outgoing, organized Business, Communications, or Fine Arts and Theatre/Dance major students who are ready for a challenge wishing to enter the production end of the fashion business. Production assistants are an important asset to RunWay Underground's fashion show and launch events and also work directly with RWU's Executive Creative Director and senior staff.
• Advertising Sales and Sponsorship Development: Motivated organized and outgoing Marketing, Business, --~ Communications, or Advertising majors with interest in developing advertising and PR campaigns and sales. ~ Requires time in office and field, dependable car, and professional attitude.
~ Paid commissions (15%-20%) available for completed ad sales and contracts for Jisé Fashion Journal ads and for RWU project/event sponsorship contracts.
~ Familiarity with MS Office software helpful. Great hands-on experience for future account and sponsor development executives.
• Bloggers and Web Content Writers: Seeking English, Creative Writing, Journalism and Fashion Design majors with great writing skills who get a fuzzy buzz from blogging and writing about fashion, shows, events and spontaneous fashion "happenings" for our website, social media pages and print editorials. Must have a unique and interesting "voice" and approach to talking about fashion from an Afrikan/Black perspective and create hype for RunWay Underground events and designers and Jisé Fashion Journal content and events. Must complete assignments on time, take editorial direction and critics well.
• Publicity: Prefer Marketing, Communications, English, Advertising or Journalism major with fantastic writing skills. Responsibilities include: media contact, writing and sending press releases, writing/editing copy for marketing materials, updating website and contact lists, keeping track of correspondence, maintaining contact with designers, stylists and associates, and researching exciting new ways to increase RunWay Underground's visibility and for Jisé Magazine.
• Multimedia and Web Development: Prefer junior/senior undergrads or graduate-level students specializing in New/Multimedia, Graphic Design or Information Technologies. The multimedia intern will work extensively with RunWay Underground's executive director, lead and staff photographers, editors and stylists digitizing videos, organizing an archive system for materials, maintaining searchable databases, updating and monitoring the RunWay Underground website and our social media sites and working on our media development teams.
• Graphic/Web Design/Photo Editing: Seeking upper level graphic design student with extensive CS3, 4, 5 and 6 as well as design/web publishing software knowledge. Interns will assist our lead and senior designers with layout and image editing of marketing materials for print and web projects. Creativity and fresh ideas are important, but must also understand and take art direction. Good writing skills and attention to details a plus.
• Film/Video Production: RWU has several show and event video, sponsor ads and marketing campaign projects coming up demanding that we expand our photography studio and film and video production division by supporting the small yet creative production team of our media department and photographers. With the ever increasing number of shows, events and other projects RWU already has on our plate plus those for this upcoming season the pressure is on... Staying on top of the number of model photo shoots for our model management services as well as the need to capture events unfolding, behind the scenes and day-to-day footage for our newly launched internet TV channels is essential. We currently need additional talented, hardworking, think-outside-the-box people who can work collaboratively with and in support of our senior production crew yet be reliable, punctual and able to complete assigned tasks independently and on time. There will be instances and projects in which interns will be in charge of an entire video production project or a major component of them. Our RWU Media Production interns will have an interest in and/or experience as a production assistant, fashion correspondent, fashion photography, camera operator/filming, sound and lighting tech, editing and post-production, script writing, location management and scouting, help managing clients, casting and talent scout assistant and being a team player. Interns do not have to currently be students. We prefer students to be junior/senior undergrads or graduate-level specializing in Photography, RTF, Theatre Production, Multimedia and Motion Graphics.
There are also several intern positions with our print publication division - Jisé Fashion Journal, a print magazine we are launching this fall. Those interested in editorial internships must possess strong writing skills, think outside the box yet take direction well and have good attention to details.
• Personal Assistant to the Executive Director
• Workroom/Studio Assistant
• Designer Assistants
HOW TO APPLY:
A downloadable application (in Word or Adobe Acrobat PDF formats) will be available on the website shortly, in the meantime, to submit your information for consideration for an intern or apprentice position with RWU and Jisé via email to [email protected]
- Please submit a brief summary about your major/academic focus, current/past work experiences (especially those relevant to the fashion industry, RWU and Jisé Fashion Journal), your intern and/or apprenticeship interests and what would make you an asset to our company and it's many facets.
- Please include your name, email address and a working phone number and, please "INTERNSHIPS & your name" in the subject field, what position(s) and your contact information in the body of the email/page.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
†PLEASE READ: We expect our interns and apprentices to be professional, please do not submit summaries that are overtly informal. If you are the type of person who quits after a week or a rough day/project or can't multitask, is always late, always has something else too do, afraid to get your hands (and sometimes your clothing) dirty, needs to look in a mirror every 11 1/2 minutes, please do NOT apply for any intern or apprenticeship positions with us. The fashion industry is every bit the cut throat, lightning fast, ever-changing, never satisfied-unruly child you've heard about times 1000! If you are a college student with too many balls in the air and think you can squeeze in one more thing and want to keep your GPA above a C-, do Not apply. If you are "out there" professionally in the fashion community and want to come in the door to run the show, definitely do NOT apply! FYI, all RWU and certain Jisé intern positions require signing a confidentiality agreement. Yes, we're that serious here...
For some of the best advice and perspective given to anyone wanting to work in the fashion industry, please watch the video below. Pay close attention because this is also how we feel at RWU and Jisé...